Sunday, September 09, 2007

The joys of free space vs. the time it takes to create it.

Last night I slept on Ventura Blvd, which was not my intention when I left work.

I left at midnight, but was feeling pretty wide awake so I thought I'd pull over and read for a while by the street lights streaming through the back window before driving to where ever it was that I was going to sleep, (undecided, but hopefully someplace darker). I think I made it about 4 pages before falling fast asleep until 6 in the morning.

Today I'm taking advantage of the fact that I'm working in a studio with a tape player hooked up to the board and I'm going through a stack of old tapes digitalizing everything that I want to keep. All part of the plan to consolidate as much as possible of my life. It's a good feeling, but I got to say, the ratio of time spent to get rid of a single cassette to the amount of space gained by getting rid of it, it's understandable how this stuff builds up. There's always been that intention to go through these boxes and digitalized these cassettes and minidiscs (some of which are interviews I did a while back that I might eventually need for pieces), just like there's always been that intention to read all those books on the shelf before getting rid of them. You really need something like this trip, (or at least I do), to actually force you to get it done. It's so much easier to just through it in a box or under the desk for later.

Well, now I've got no desk and space for only a few boxes, so I'm forced to do it all at once. It's a very satisfying feeling to get rid of something you haven't used in a year (or years), and know that you will never have to think about it again. It feels like crossing things off a to-do list.

This pruning/compacting process is yet another reason I'm glad I moved out of my apartment 4 months before leaving town, (the $917 a month in rent being the big reason I'm glad). It's forced me to start the process much earlier. Still, there's at least a closet full of stuff down at my parents that I'll continue to do what I can to get rid of.

Next time I'm visiting I may tackle the crafting supplies. Anyone want some yarn? I am tempted to use the desire to free up the space as an excuse to crochet some blankets, but the amount time to make the blankets vs. the amount of space this would free up is absurd. (Plus then I'd need to figure out what to do with the blankets.)

I may stick with tatting for a while. Thread is so much more compact. About half of mine is sitting easily under the passenger seat, ready to go with me anywhere I choose to.

Now if only I can get the rest of my life to fit into the van as neatly as the tread. Just seven more weeks to pare it all down.

No comments: