Saturday, June 09, 2007

Spontaneous order is awesome

This morning I was out and about and found myself with an extra hour and a half to kill before I had to be at work. Not enough time to go home, too much time to just get to work early, and I wasn't hungry, so no point in going out for a nice lunch, (which I wouldn't really want to spend the money on right now anyway). So I went for a drive down Mulholland Drive. Immediately upon rounding the first bend I felt a little leap of joy at a new view. Here I was only 200 yards from the freeway entrance I take a couple times a week and yet it felt completely new.

I used my extra hour an a half to drive down the section of Mullholland east of the 405, stopping at view points along the way and reading the small informational plaques, and reveling in the iconic sprawl of the city stretching out into the edge of the mountains. I love looking at Los Angeles from above. I better comprehend how it fits together nestled in the valleys, it's tiny little downtown creeping down Wilshire blvd all the way out to the ocean while the rest of the city oozes out to the mountains. Even the traffic takes on a larger than life quality when you're looking down on it. It feels like life. All these people going about their lives unconcerned about 99.999% of the other 4 million around them. But somehow they all fit together and a century of spontaneous order has created this beautiful city.

I can't wait to get out on the road and check out some other new places.

No comments: